Presentation and notes for August club meeting is available for download.
Check out slide 9 for End-of-Year Photo Raffle. Submissions due prior to next meeting, drawing will occur then.
Use the club ridewithgps.com account to share routes and coordinate rides. Haven’t signed up? It’s free to members: create a ridewithgps.com account and click on Ask to Join on club page.
Key upcoming dates:
- 21 September – (Date Corrected) Next Club meeting @ 11:30am in A1 “somewhere.” Club meetings will be held 3rd Thursday of every month, which coincides with Bike n’ Breakfast
- 4 October – Aerospace Annual Commuter Fair where the Club will have a booth, a prize to raffle off, and maybe a fix-a-flat demo
- 8 October – Long Beach Marathon Bike Tour
- 8 October – Ciclavia Heart of Los Angeles
- 14 October – Rat Beach Bike Tour
The following is an account written by Mel Cutler on a San Luis Obispo (SLO) brevet over the 2017 President’s Day Weekend.
I went up to SLO over the long President’s Day weekend to take advantage of my first brevets since my surgery in December. [Brevets are long distance unsupported rides organized by regional brevet administrators of Randonneurs USA (RUSA)]. Saturday was a relatively flat 200 km that I had done a few years ago and I had done the 300km last year on this same weekend, so they were familiar.
Order Link: http://www.voler.com/custom/ordering/li/13885
Instructions from Voler:
Your team has decided to use the Voler Custom Online Order System for collecting and processing your cycling apparel order. Please follow the steps below to place your individual order for inclusion in the overall team order.
- Click on this link to access your team order site: http://www.voler.com/custom/ordering/li/13885
- Click on “LOGIN” to enter your Login/Billing Info. Click on “Create Account” to save the information and to create your new User ID and Password. You will automatically be directed to the home page for your team order. If you are a returning customer, please use your original Login and Password.
- Click on “Begin Shopping” to gain access to the orderable products page. To place items in your shopping cart, click on the item you want to order, then the options you want to select, then the “Add to cart” button. You can choose to “View Your Bag” or “Continue Shopping” after adding each item. Repeat these steps for each item you want to order.
- After placing the last item you want to order in your shopping cart, click on “View Your Bag” to display the items. Carefully review the items and make any necessary modifications or deletions. Because each item is custom built, refunds and exchanges will not be accepted. After you have confirmed your order is correct, click on “Proceed to Checkout” to complete the secure checkout process by entering your credit card payment information.
- After you have completed the secure checkout process, an Order Confirmation will automatically be displayed and e-mailed to you for your records.
- After the order deadline date has passed, you will no longer be able to access the order site. If you have not completed the checkout process for your order by this date, any items in your cart will be removed. The Order Deadline and the Order Ship Date are displayed on the order homepage. The Ship Date is the date that your order will be shipped from Voler.
Thank you for your order. If you have any questions, please call 800-488-6537 and ask for assistance from a Voler Customer Service Representative, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Update: Bylaws were approved June 28, 2016. Here’s a link to the minutes.
Here’s the PDF with the details: AEA Cycling Club Bylaws – Proposed
Here’s a summary:
||Remove Secretary as an officer position
||Reduce the number of officers by one to better active contingent of members
||Move term start from 1 May to 1 July
||Moves start of officer term to after elections are held
||Edits for language in Article IV
||Opportunity to fix minor language issues in by laws
||Change club disbursement limit from $100 to $500
||Makes AEA Cycling Club bylaws consistent with AEA bylaws
Last month the club put out a logo contest. Andrew L. won 1st place ($50 REI gift card) while Eric H. ($30 REI gift card) took 2nd. However, the voting was so close that the club decided to figure out a way to merge the those two logo ideas together. Riana T. ($20 REI gift card) took third, and the club wants to modify her entry and use that as a graphic for the back our T-shirts. The merged logo and the t-shirt design are still in work, but in the meantime congratulations to our winners and thanks to all who turned in submissions!
First Place – Andrew L.
Second Place – Eric H.
Third Place – Riana T.
Here’s the full jersey mockup with the old company tagline – click on the picture for the ginormous version:
- For all orders, you have to pay in full up front. For club members eligible for the subsidy, the club will distribute the reimbursement afterwards to get your out-of-pocket cost down to $50. If for some reason we can’t complete the (group) order, Voler will refund your money.
- When Lee gives the word, Voler will set up an “order site” just for us. Here’s the old order link. The jersey, shorts, and bibs are semi-custom, so there is no single “type” of each clothing and you have a lot of flexibility in choosing the kit that suits you best.
- Subsidy makes out-of-pocket cost $50 for the first-ever jersey order only. (Yes, it is a once-in-a-lifetime benefit.) Member is responsible for full price on subsequent jersey orders plus any shorts and bibs.
- If you’re interested in seeing one up close, I’ll have mine along with the bib in my office in A2. E-mail me through the web site or internal mail to arrange a time to meet.
All but the LA Wheelmen ride are listed on the Upcoming Events page until the day of event.
- Saturday 8/1 – SBW Late Riser. After a brief hiatus for July, the SBW Late Riser is back. Co-VP of Recreational Riding Mel Cutler will be sweeping … err helping lead the group this coming Saturday on this casual training ride. Best of all, it’s free.
- Sunday 8/2 – LA Wheelmen’s “The Hills of South Bay.” Late breaking so no event page (sorry). This casual ride goes after hills … in South Bay. Not very big, not very long, but challenging when taken as a group. Starting point is right around the corner from AGO at Del Aire Park and goes out at 8:30AM. (Here’s the link to the routes, though that link expires after the ride.) Free, but you’ll need to sign and bring a copy of their waiver.
- Sunday 8/6 – CicLAVia Culver City Meets Venice. Being a mere 9 miles north of AGO, this quarter’s CicLAVia is a great destination for an out-and-back ride, or as part of a loop around South Bay or West LA. Keep an eye out for an e-mail from co-VP of Recreational Riding Jim Jusko for potential meet ups near AGO and north of LAX heading out to the event, and at the CicLAVia. Also, AEA Cycling Club member Matt Risi is inviting members to stop by his apartment smack dab in the middle of the route and say hi. See his internal e-mail for details, or e-mail me and I can forward the message to you. This one’s free also.
- Saturday 8/15 – Cool Breeze Century. Ocean breezes and rolling hills mark this scenic Southern California ride, and why it’s a favorite of many of our members. Not free but eligible for the ride subsidy: just submit a copy of your receipt to Lee Shelton in person, via e-mail, or via internal mail. (The club is waiving the “content” requirement until end of FY15 for the ride subsidy, but pictures are always welcome.)
Mel Selfie at GMR-GRR Spring 2015
Mel Cutler, our Co-VP of Recreational Riding, is going up Glendora Mountain Road/Glendora Ridge Road (GMR/GRR) this holiday weekend. The road will be closed to motor vehicle traffic so it’s a great opportunity to ride one of the best climbs in Southern California.
Here’s the route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8801195
Want to ride with Mel? Meet up at El Canto Park in Duarte on Friday, 7/3, and be ready to leave by 8:00AM. It’s a show-n-go ride, so you’re on your own when it comes to … everything.
Can’t make it then? There’s a group of ultra riders leaving El Canto Park on Saturday at 7:30 AM, and you’re welcome to take the route on your own all through this holiday weekend.
More from Mel below the jump: