See original post here. Note the event data is Sunday November 19, 2017 (and not Saturday as previously reported).
2017-10-23 Update: Link to Mel’s briefing on logistics from 10/19 club meeting.
2017-10-18 Update: Added download for train options on return trip. Added Inland route options – scroll near bottom.
2017-10-07 Update: The route has received tentative approval from the event organizer with, but Mel has a couple of changes that needs to review. It is 122 km using I-5 – see below.
Prospective riders must do the following:
- Register and pay for the event via this link (Team Name is AEA):
- RSVP to the Event via their ridewithgps.com account via this link (RSVP is button midway down):
- There’s a possibility the route will go through Camp Pendleton. To be safe, get your approval via this link now:
For those who don’t want to get up early and drive for the 7am start, there are 3 lodging options within walking distance. [For those who want to do this, book ASAP with a refundable rate — Mel C.]:
- Travelodge [seems to have good reviews — Mel C.]
- Hampton Inn
- Inn at Califia Beach
Download PDF of train options for return trip: OCT-LOSSAN-Schedule-10-9-17_FULL
Coastal route info:
- Team Name: AEA
- Start Control: San Clemente Shell, 2400 S El Camino Real, San Clemente, CA 92672
- 6 hour control: (km 92) Gelato Vero Caffe, 3753 India St, San Diego, CA 92103 (riders may not leave this control until 1:00 pm)
- Finish Control: Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, 4463 Camino De La Plaza #111, San Diego, CA 92173
Inland route Info:
An inland route is being developed with two major differences with the coastal route: (1) It starts in Oceanside rather than San Clemente, (2) It does not climb the Torrey Pines hill
Starting in Oceanside permits a rail return using the San Diego COASTER train, which does not require a bike reservation. Torrey Pines can be intimidating in that it occurs late in the ride and is a sustained climb. However, note that the total climbing on this routes is more than on the coastal route. It is more gradual and distributed.
Pane below shows both routes: use selector on bottom of pane to view both routes.